Friday, August 31, 2007

Thrashin' The Night Away

If this blog was a child I'd be in prison for locking it in a closet and never ever feeding it. It would have survived on the spare cockroach that found its way into the closet. I'm going to try to be more regular and do at least a weekly post. Not that it matters since exactly zero people read this.

Last night (Thursday August 30) I went to a pretty kick ass show. Merciless Death, a thrash band from California, played at Ramalama Records in Toledo. I'll be honest, I haven't listened to much metal that isn't black metal in a long time but as I'm typing this I have an old Slayer demo on and am going through every cd I have to find more thrash. These guys really put me in the mood for thrash. They played for an hour and a half and I'm guessing played every song they've written from what I've heard. We missed the first few songs but caught 90% of the set and it was great. The transitions within songs were awesome and these guys really know how to write a good metal song. My head was banging and I couldn't help but throw up the horns. Their sound was very much 80s thrash and I mean that in the best possible way. These guys wouldn't be out of place playing a show with Death when they first began or playing a bill with Slayer. Seriously, buy the cd (or vinyl if you're really cool) and put it on for a fellow metal head. Ask them to figure out when the thing was recorded. You could have them thinking its some lost thrash classic when in reality it was recorded 20 years after. These guys looked like a 80s thrash band brought forward in time to rock the world today even. I couldn't make out most of the lyrics but most of what I heard seemed to be about zombies, Satan, maybe even nuclear war, all of which are great topics for a metal band.

Talking to the guys afterwards I found out this was their first actual tour in their four years together. Hopefully I get a chance to see them again as they were really great. After the show I picked up a copy of their LP and I'm glad I did. Its limited to 50 copies on this picture disc and lo' and behold, the artwork is a Ed Repka piece. For those that don't know, Ed Repka is an amazing artist who has done artwork for some great albums. Everything about the record is cool and it now has a proud place in my living room. I'm going to go ahead and post the rest of their tour dates as well as a link to their myspace and hopefully someone will read this and check these guys out.

31 Aug 2007 19:00
Jigsaw Saloon Parma, Ohio
1 Sep 2007 19:00
Casa Del Kotex - House Show!- Indianapolis, Indiana
2 Sep 2007 19:00
Legends Music Cafe Addison, Illinois
3 Sep 2007 19:00
Mac’s Bar Lansing, Michigan
4 Sep 2007 19:00
Station-4 St. Paul, Minnesota
5 Sep 2007 19:00
Vaudeville Mews Des Moines, Iowa
6 Sep 2007 19:00
The Static Bar Topeka, Kansas
8 Sep 2007 19:00
Club Vegas Salt Lake City, Utah
10 Sep 2007 19:00
Studio 7 Seattle, Washington
11 Sep 2007 19:00
Satyricon Portland, Oregon
12 Sep 2007 19:00
Samurai Duck Eugene, Oregon

Merciless Death Myspace

As always, thanks for reading and comment if you wilt.

No comments: